Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Wonder Years

Being a mom is scary. Any bouts of anxiety I have are usually directly related to Desmond’s future. As I watched a clip of idiot fraternity boys on Tosh.0 a couple weeks ago, I couldn’t help but think…that could be Desmond. What if I raise a binge drinker? What if I raise a boy who has lots of meaningless emotionless sex? And he’ll be old and living out of my house. I will have lost control. I’ll be a nagging medaling mother whose son doesn’t want to contact her because he doesn’t want to listen to her motherly advice anymore; it’s a scary thought.

But I stopped fretting. I calmed myself down and had hope that I will raise a son who drinks moderately and cares about the woman he sleeps with. (No, those arent my only two concerns about him growing up but I don’t have time to write about them all.) Before I became a mother, I wouldn’t have blinked twice at this clip on Tosh. Now though, each boy I see in any movie or television program morphs into Desmond. And without a good grip on my ability to stay calm, I’d be going completely batty.

So, on a whim I have started watching The Wonder Years on Netflix; and it overflows my hope reservoir. (Not only that but it’s refreshing to watch something that feels wholesome.) I remember as a kid I liked the show but I know for certain my six year old self didn’t catch half of the insinuations that are in that show. Regardless of what I missed then, I see so much more now. I don’t panic when I imagine Desmond like Kevin Arnold. The idea of Desmond growing up too fast is not only scary but it’s reality. Watching little Kevin grow up and learn about the facts of life reminds me that Desmond doesn’t not have to be a wicked bully crazed child in the process. Today’s TV depicts such mean children, that I’m constantly brewing up ways to make sure my kid isn’t one. I forget that children are a large reflection of their parents. So I have hope that leading by example, Desmond will come out alright.

So, I’m going to continue watching The Wonder Years. Not only is it just a good show but it reminds me of my childhood and gives me moments to look forward to in Desmond’s future. (Seriously try watching it again…it’s really is still a good program after all these years.)

Mothers/Fathers out there – Am I alone in this? Or do you imagine these things too?

1 comment:

  1. I do not have children yet but I do fear what you fear and it makes me wonder if I should have children or not. So I get it.

    ReplyDelete