Tuesday, March 6, 2012

DIY Project #1

I am in the process of redecorating my master bedroom. The room is bare, pending paint and new furniture. And while that is in slow progress, I’ve been looking for accessories to fit the room. Well, I have yet to find any type of art to hang above our bed. So, I found a few DIY projects and thought, I can do this. But can I really?

So here’s is how the project started – Blank canvases purchased at Hobby Lobby (used 40% coupon on each, yahoo!)

I then covered the canvas in book pages. (FYI…I used Twilight pages for a hint of romance)


I used a mixture of 2 parts water to 1 part school glue to adhere the pages to the canvas. (Had I stopped here, I would have liked my canvas better but nope, things shall continue.) Since my bedroom will have pops of yellow, I wanted the canvas to be tinted yellow. I used a mixture of water and Martha Stewart Acrylic Paint and tested on a small section to make sure it was transparent enough.


Now comes the art skills…which I lack. So here is the unintentional gothic/Halloween tree that made it onto the canvas.


Too quote my mother, “I don’t hate it.”

But here was the inspiration…not even close…
My branches are way too thick to add in the little leaves blowing in the wind. And it’s just much too spooky of a tree to really go with the flow of the room I have envisioned.

So I’m stuck.

And that’s why this is called DIY Project #1…because Project #2 will probably end up right on top of this one. Back to the drawing board.

2 comments:

  1. I actually think it is really cool...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loooove it Michelle!! Did you not use it at all in your room? I would totally put that up on my wall!

    ReplyDelete