Wednesday, July 14, 2010

In Grimace's Shoes

Ok, I admit this picture of Grimace is pretty happy and the subject matter within this blog entry is not whimsical so don’t be misled by the happy smiley face above.

Yesterday, I notice a certain post on facebook:

“Pro Tip: Large woman wearing purple don’t like being told “Pick a side of the sidewalk Grimace.”

I might not have written this verbatim because it was removed from facebook but it captures the essence of the post. At first read through I thought it was funny and a split second later I was upset and mad. It’s one thing to poke fun of someone’s size if you’re provoked and are verbally sparing with that person, but this large woman in purple with a staggering step just happens to cross the wrong person’s path. What did she do to be suddenly referred to as Grimace? Nothing. My biggest hope is that she did know that Grimace is the large purple monster from McD’s cast of characters; I’m hoping she just knew she was being called something negative and moves on with her day. Cause if she’s anything like me, it can still be hurtful years from now.

What am I talking about??? A few years ago (at least 2 years or more) I was shopping at Woodfield with my friend. I was approached by one of those people who take surveys in the mall. I ended up telling the kid I didn’t have time to take his survey. He then proceeded to tell me rudely that I needed to go to Jenny Craig. Really!?! Like I don’t know I have weight issues? Like I need some punk teenager to tell me I needed to lose weight? WTF? It ruined my whole night. I acted as if I wasn’t pissed and kept shopping but really I was crushed on the inside that somebody I don’t even know, somebody I don’t even care to know, could make me feel so low about myself.

And that’s why this comment pissed me off. I didn’t deserve to be insulted about my weight just because I didn’t have time to take that kids survey. That woman didn’t deserve to be described as the big fat Grimace from McD’s because she was in the way of someone in a rush. We were both in a situation where we were used as vents for a stranger’s frustrations.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I ran across your blog and it inspired me to leave a quick note.

    If there's one thing you and this Grimace lady should know is that what people say doesn't matter. When someone says something to you that may be negative, you just look at them and say, "yeah and why does what you think matter... oh, it doesn't. " and then move on, those people are like a pimple, they blemish your feelings, you pop them (saying, "who gives a spit what you think"), and move on now that it's gone.

    People can't live their lives worrying about what people think, life is too short for that burden. Be proud of who you are and what you do, know that you've got your business handled and are in control of your life and that way no one can stop your shine.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete