Wednesday, November 10, 2010

All I Want for Christmas...is an Elephant?

(Pachyderm House 2009)

Times are tough and this year’s Christmas, my family is doing a grab bag for adults. Our limit is set at $50 and we are responsible to give some ideas to the gift giver. I have pondered many items. I have my nose set on Anthropology’s Amazing Grace perfume. I’d like some new movies or I could really use some new apparel in my ever shrinking wardrobe. But this is not a ploy for those items. I have found another thing I want and I mean WANT. So this is me begging my secret Santa, pretty please adopt me an Elephant from Riddle’s Elephant and Wild Life Sanctuary.

Last month, while watching Oprah I saw the most amazing show about animals. Part of the show was about a sanctuary in Africa. It was touching to see these hurt elephants rescued and saved at a sanctuary. It was even more unbelievable to learn about an elephant’s personality. They are truly a social creature and love other elephants. Their mourning ritual even made me cry. (Elephants pay homage to the bones of their dead, gently touching the skulls and tusks with their trunks and feet.) And who hasn’t seen that video about the bond formed between a dog and elephant? It’s awesome. If you haven’t scene it, Google Tara & Bella and you’ll find it.


I was just inspired to adopt an elephant. Why hadn’t I thought before now to get myself involved with them? I’m even inspired to learn more about these remarkable creatures. Unfortunately adopting an elephant in Africa leaves me no opportunity to actually visit if the occasion arises. So while researching I found Riddle’s Elephant and Wild Life Sanctuary. They are located in Arkansas and by adopting me an elephant I might actually get the chance to meet them. They also have internship programs, weekend long retreats and an International School for Elephant management. I could actually see myself taking care of elephants. I can’t imagine it’s a huge job demand but I sure would enjoy it. It’s something I’m keeping in mind and one small step in the right direction is adopting an elephant.

So Secret Santa, please adopt me an elephant for $50! How much easier could it be? You don’t even need to leave your home to purchase it for me. And I’ll let you pick which elephant to adopt, it’s too hard for me to pick anyways.

For more information on how you can adopt an elephant or make a one time donation, check out: http://www.elephantsanctuary.org/


To the left is a picture of my son's room...can you see the elephant influence???


Weight Update: I’m down 10.2 lbs since I started. I’ve officially lost the baby weight, now it’s time to continue losing the pre-baby weight. Yahoo!

9/28: 218.4
11/10: 208.2

1 comment:

  1. Love elephants! Have you seen the video of the elephant giving birth? AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete