Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Book Review: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo


Why oh why did I wait this long to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson??? I’ve been in some sort of reading funk lately. I’ve picked up perfectly good books and within the first few chapters I put it down permanently. It’s like my love of reading had vanished for a few months. Well, it’s been revived. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was one of those books for me that I just couldn’t put down. It reminds me of how The Time Traveler's Wife made me feel. I wanted to read it at red lights, before bed and at lunch. I swallowed the whole book in two days. And the best part about this book…was that every recommendation I received and even the back of the book didn’t even come close to describing what is in this book. As I write this blog, I can’t even clearly sum up all parts of this wonderful piece of literature.

Ok, in very, very short form, it’s a mystery. But it’s so much more than that. The two main characters don’t even meet until well into the second half of the book. This gives Steig Larsson the time to really build the characters personal storylines. It also gives him time to lay the foundation of the mystery. The book doesn’t feel rushed and there’s a natural build up to the conclusion, which if it isn’t a bit shocking to you, then I think you’re lying. It’s one thing if you suspect them as a murderer but if you suspect them for their actual crimes, you should get your head examined because you’re sick.

Now, my favorite part of the story…Lisbeth. She’s only half of the main characters but for me, she’s the better half; the more interesting half. The story can’t be told without Mikael and it’s not like I don’t like him; He’s pretty average. Therefore he gets average attention from me. I liked reading his parts of the book because you learn about the mystery and follow the way to solving it through mostly him but Lisbeth definitely had character strength in spades. Not only does Lisbeth help solve the mystery but you’re completely entwined and sucked into her personal life. You like reading about the slivers of information given on her past that have molded into who she is today. You like reading the crazy shit that goes through her head and you want to know where her character is going, which is excellent for Steigh Larrson because it means people will read sequels. (Which there are two and I’m dying to read them!!!) She’s just full of surprises. One minute your feeling sick to your stomach of the things done to her and then the next minute you’re cheering her on for being a complete badass. She is completely socially awkward and 100% lovable. I encourage you to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I give it two thumbs way up!

No comments:

Post a Comment