Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Soul Pancake Challenge


Live life to the fullest.

Seize the day.

Live every day as if it were your last and then some day you'll be right.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.

We grow up being told to live life to it’s fullest. But what do you do to live life to the fullest? Now, each of our definitions of living a full life is different. For me, having a family, job and a hobby is fulfilling. But I know there’s room for more. I can feel it.

Well, a few weeks ago I watched Rainn Wilson on Conan. He was promoting his new book called Soul Pancake. I could not be sure what the book was about but the few things he mentioned caught my attention and I immediately put it on hold at the library. The sucker finally came in! There are many things filled in this book and I encourage you to check it out, but the area I want to focus on are his “creative challenges” found throughout the whole book.

SO, here is my challenge…I have picked 6 of his suggestions and I encourage each of you to complete one. My goal is to complete each and every one of them. If it’s possible, I’ll document the experience. Nothing on the list should cost you any money or if it does it won’t be much. And each item is so simple you could complete them easily, but the important thing here is doing, so go out and do it!

Art at Arm’s Reach – Step 1. Scavenge around your desk, barstool, couch cushions for anything handy. And we mean anything: paper clips, poker chips, fake eyelashes, junk mail, bullet castings. Step 2. Create Art. Step 3. Bask in your artistic brillance. Repeat as desired.

Beauty in the Bland – Step 1. Pick up your camera. Step 2. Spend an entire day finding beauty hiding in the ordinary. Step 3. Create an extraordinary album.

Reverse Pickpocket – Step 1. Pull out the biggest bill in your wallet. Step 2. Stash the cash in an envelope labeled “You’ve been tagged by a Soul Pancake Reverse Pickpocket.” Step 3. Slip the loot into the bag of a stranger. If you’re feeling bold, aim for the back pocket. Step 4. Don’t get caught. It would be really awkward.

Stash-A-Secret – Step 1. Think of that one secret sitting heavy in your gut. Step 2. Write it on a scrap of paper. Step 3. Go to a bookstore and slip it into a copy of the Soul Pancake book. Step 4. Enjoy the relase of having a perfect stranger help carry your load.

Tech Detox – Take a day and completely unplug. Turn off the devices that compete for your attention. Explore the world that exists without you turning it on.

Pint Sized Protest – Step 1. Find a couple of little people. Try LEGO figures, G.I. Joes, or Barbie dolls. Step 2. Emblazon a tiny piece of paper with something you stand for. Step 3. Stage your protest in a public space. Step 4. Walk away and let the world hear your battle cry…or should we say whisper?

And here are a few bonus suggestions from the “Live a Little” section:

• Eat something that challenges your gag reflexes.
• Don’t use utensils to eat all day.
• Shower in the dark.
• Double-tip your server.
• Grab some friends and start a pillow fight in a public space.
• Go to a thrift store and buy an entire outfit. Wear it the rest of the day.
• Watch one of your parents’ favorite movies.
• Get a knife. Get a stick. Whittle something.

I also plan on completing the short list above as well and so should you. So you might be thinking “is completing these suggestions really helping me live life to the fullest?” That’s completely dependent on you. For me, these are things I might never have thought about or taken the time to do. And each one adds to my experience bank, therefore I’m that much richer. Have fun. I hope this gives you some entertaining times ahead.

3 comments: