Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Movie Review - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo


Last night I saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. And now I can finally stop the antsy pantsy dance I’ve been doing since I purchased my tickets a few weeks ago. So what do I think of it??? I loved it. But I’m completely biased. I love Lisbeth Salander. She is my hero. And these books have become my favorite adult series. (HP being my favorite Young Adult Series with Hunger Game following just behind HP.) So I think that TGWTDT could do nothing but win with me.

So the best I can do if point out many highs and a few lows…so here goes.

Best Parts of the Movie (Don’t Worry No Spoilers)


#1 Mara Rooney

#2 Mara Rooney

#3 You guessed it…Mara Rooney.


Mara Rooney is fantastic. I suspected she would do a great job from the trailers but following in the footsteps of her predecessor, Noomi Rapace from the Swedish films, gave her large shoes to fill. In my opinion she tackled the challenge head on and I think she gave a truly stunning performance. It’s hard to say which Lisbeth version I like better. If asked, I’ll give the cop out answer and say “I like them equally.” Seriously, each gave this short waifish woman a “soft” side that could appeal to the masses but give a believability when she strikes like a snake in moments of retaliation. And Mara Rooney’s willingness to get pierced for the film, as well as play out completely horrific scenes in the buff in front an entire film crew, makes me say kudos to you. Bravo!

Now, I know you’ll feeling my new Mara Rooney love but I have to give a few more props. First, Sweden. One of the first things my husband said as we left the theater was how stunning the movie was. It’s true and completely the work of Sweden. Not only was the scenery breathtaking but just watching the cold wintery months made me keep my jacket on at all times. Among many reasons to re-watch the movie, I’m looking forward to being able to appreciate the view even more.

Next, Daniel Craig. I’m not really a fan or non-fan of Daniel Craig. He just is. I can’t really say I’ve seen enough of his movies to even have much of an opinion of him. (Excluding his fantastic body from the Bond films, that’s clearly established.) So, I think I was taken aback by his acting. There were times when he really brought vulnerability to his character. Playing the man at a low point in his career, facing jail time (though the movie doesn’t go there), and being a ladies man all at once, just worked for him. I expected him to kick ass like his Bond films, but he had much more naturalistic persona. All in all, a happy surprise.

Lastly, the sound of the movie. Anyone who’s seen the trailer has heard the eerie wails and heart pounding sound mix by Trent Reznor. That song, for me, would instantly turn my head to the TV when I heard it. It would instantly get my heart racing. The music definitely another perfect “character” in the movie. And I’d like to see the movie again, so I could pay more attention to it without being so distracted to what’s happening. It’s good stuff.

Now, my low points…ok, so first is not really-really a low point. For anyone who has read the books, they say it drags the first half. And I would agree. Stieg Larsson really takes his time to set the scene. So does David Fincher. So I felt the movie had a bit of a slower pace the first half. But that’s not really a bad thing. It’s just the way to slowly reveal pieces of the story and give you information that you as the audience will need to know in the second half when the action is going down. So, be patient. (On a side note: my husband didn’t feel the drag, so maybe you won’t either.)

I’m not sure why but sometimes, things were hard to understand. Not concept wise but literally hard to hear. Either between the accents or distractions, I felt I missed a bit here and there. Nothing detrimental but enough to take note of.

And that’s it. I really liked the movie. The only thing that could have made it better is if I wasn’t sitting next to a confused chatty Cathy, who asked questions at each moment. I seriously wanted to strangle the woman, each time she asked “what does that mean?” Haven’t you ever watched a movie before? They are only revealing a piece of the puzzle at a time, relax. At one point in the movie she was sitting on the tip of her seat, angling her body to the screen in what I only imagined her way of getting closer to the film to better understand it. Her date then began rubbing his rough hand along her back, making the most annoying and loud distraction to my right side. To channel my father-n-law, it was like dynamite to my ears! This couple and the fact I had to sit through a trailer for new Ghost Rider movie with the god awful Nicholas Cage were the absolute worst parts of my movie going experience.

So go out, see this thriller and enjoy. I guarantee you, that if you like this movie. You will love the next ones, granted if they are made, because they focus on Lisbeth.

And to you readers of the books…what did you think of the changes they made? I was ok with them myself.

2 comments: