Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Resistance is Futile

My 30th birthday celebration is quickly approaching. Yes, I, the forever young at heart can’t stop myself from aging. I’m ok with that; it’s not as bad as I thought it’d be. But this blog is only slightly about turning 30; it’s more about looking good for this weekend. I like to dress up. I like to feel pretty. So I’ve made arrangements to get my hair and makeup done in honor of my impending night out. And what should happen this week? A big painful zit starting to make its approach to the surface of my skin. You know the place; that spot just below the corner of your mouth. You know the feeling; the little heated red spot that’s super sore to the touch but no amount squeezing gives relief because it just ain’t ready to be popped. I vowed, that I would leave it be. The last thing I wanted was to pop it and have it scabbed over for my makeup appointment. I figure a natural resolution would be best. But as it got bigger and as the red spot turned into a white capped mountain, I found it harder and harder to stick to my resolve. What is it about a zit that attracts your finger? Yes, it’s still there. You can still feel it on your face but yet I find myself checking over and over again. And that only makes it worse by touching it. Before I knew it, I’m talking with my hand partially covering the zit. I go to the bathroom and have to look at it. I have to fully understand at each moment how awful it looks. If I think it’ll make someone sick to look at it. And then there’s that little part of me that just want to squeeze. It’s a mixture of disgust but who am I kidding, a bit of joy. Why do people like to pop zits? I don’t know, but it does feel like you accomplish something when you see that white ooze leak from your face and the blood begins. (Don’t forget about the squirters, so gross and yet kinda funny.) You know what I mean? So, like the title states resistance is futile. I caved, and popped my zit last night. I just couldn’t look at it any longer. Am I crazy or do you folks know what I’m talking about?

1 comment:

  1. Ok so I completely and undoubtedly agree with you. I work in the beauty industry I know what I should say to you to be proper but this is not that moment. I cannot handle having a "white head" and not popping t! Not even just on me I will pop Jerry's of all things! I do not understand but completely agree with the sense of accomplishment you receive from it and I can offer no good advice for not doing it. Now I can tell you that after you pop it put toothpaste on it, sounds crazy but it will pull anything you missed out as it hardens and calm the redness!

    ReplyDelete