Friday, June 11, 2010

Finding Me – Career Life

I can’t remember the exact date but I remember a certain conversation I had with my mother. We were simply in the car and she says “Michelle, what do you want to do with your life? Cause you aren’t doing what you’re suppose to be doing. You were meant for more.” How is it that at 28 years old, I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up?

I considered Mortuary school for awhile, but if I’m honest with myself, I’m not quite comfortable comforting strangers who have lost a loved one. I’m also not comfortable with the selling aspect at a funeral home. I would literally want to be in all behind the scenes area of this field. Is that realistic? I’m not sure. Plus this requires full-time days for school and after school clinicals, so I would have no time for my family; Not a big fan of that.

Another career I considered was the Army. I remember a recruiter coming in and talking to my eighth grade class about her life with the Army and thought “I wanna do that.” It also gave me a new outlook on the army. I can’t help but see a solider in uniform and I get teary eyed; They may be strangers but I’m proud of them and I’m literally thankful for their service to our country. But here I am at an undesirable age and overweight. I once went to a recruiter and even went as far as testing to join the reserves but part of the reason I didn’t step forward was because I couldn’t decided on my MO. And now, I’m at an age that if I got in shape do I really want to join? I have a family and army life is so strict. They say jump, you say how high. I couldn’t imagine asking Michael or Desmond to move around or fear me heading to war.

What I want is not something that can be taught. I want to own a campground. I want my own movie theater. (Like the Cat Low in Barrington, Google it. They are great.) I’d even love to have a riverside marina where boaters can dock and have fresh food and drinks before scampering off on the rest of their afternoons. I would love to own a book store. But does one start something like this? I’m certainly not interested in getting a business degree but can’t see how I would understand running my own business without it. I certainly don’t have savings to start my own business. I don’t even have big enough balls to actually start my own business.

I feel like I should have a career counselor like I use to have in high school. It didn’t help me then but perhaps it could help me now. Maybe there’s more out there that I’m not aware off. I guess I just feel scared; scared to fail, scared of trying something new, scared to commit, scared of financial doom…the list goes on and on. I suppose I’m looking for something that sounds so worthwhile that I’ll be up for the risk. And I wish it could be as easy as decidng to start a family because so far that is the best decision I've made since growing up. Now if only if I could figure out my career path…

What do you want to be when you grow up?

8 comments:

  1. Michelle, its so weird that this is your topic because this is something I think about every day! I to have no idea what I want to be when I grow up and I am almost 30. Its scary, I feel like I haven’t gotten even close to accomplishing anything career wise. At least you have a bachelors degree, I couldn’t even take the time or commitment to do that for myself. I am not proud of what I do for a living and dread meeting new people; the question always comes up…what do you do?! Yet I am not at a point in my life where I Can commit to full time classes, like you. I have considered going for nursing or an ultrasound tech. But when it comes down to it I think wearing scrubs every day and working in the medical office, possibly having to give bad news to hopeful patients scares me. At this point in my life I would love to be a dietician, helping people come up with diet and workout plans…but is that realistic. Is there money to be made there?!? If I could turn time around I may have went to school to be a teacher, I feel that it’s a very rewarding career (and summers off!) However the pay isn’t great….but more than I make now I’m sure. I want a career that is so interesting and different every day, something that interests people when they ask what I do….

    Owning a business is OK, its stressful and you always expect to make good money; not always the case!

    I feel like I need to speak to a career counselor as well. I am so creative and love to plan and decorate. I would love to get into that field….but I think its very competitive and hard to get your foot in the door.

    Anyways, thanks for writing this. I am now on a mission to find my career calling……lets help each other. -Dayna C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I am 30 and pretty much still there with you but of you ever own a movie theater or your own business, NOTE THIS BIG NOTE: Let me come work for you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am more then willing to try to start a business with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This to the 100th degree! I think most people feel this way, me especially with only having a high school diploma, yet married to a guy with a masters. I love staying at home with my daughter and i do want to continue to be a stay at home mom with my future children. However I do see my self returning to work at least part-time when my youngest is in kindergarten, but doing what is the question? At least you have interests, thats a good starting point. i dont have any at all really. i used to want to be an ultrasound tech, but gave up when i felt that i would never get into the program. Pastry school was a brief thought because i loved to cook and bake(remember our PoliRican Bakery idea Michelle!?), but realistically bakers dont make much money. Opening up my own Cafe or Resturant? my Grandfather opened and ran resturants for over 40 years and ive seen first hand how tough it can be to keep your business afloat. I have been blessed enough to get to stay home with my child and i also want to take advantage of that time to go to school, but i have no idea what i want to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle - You are awesome and you will find what moves you and makes you happy in the career part of your life. If I think of anything inspirational I will let you know! Keep up the great energy and hope! Your "happy career" is out there...Love your cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you figure it all out, come tell your 50 year old friend! Learn to be content, but never settle. Always strive for more, but be satisfied with what you have. And enjoy the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of the most interesting people I've met are in their late 30s+ (not that you're there yet) and they didn't start blooming until their early 30s.

    Taking even small steps can lead you in the direction you want to go (me for instance... I started out making $9 an hour and just worked my way up) Find you niche, what makes you happy, and no matter how small of a step towards something you love is, it's still a step forward.

    I'm sure you've got all the support in the world from your family and friends... they're with you on this journey, so don't be afraid to take a dumb leap of faith and try to find that piece of yourself that may be missing; they'll always be there for you to fall back on.

    My final word of advice... don't do something to just make things different, do something that you're passionate about, not something you 'don't mind doing', don't settle for less than what you expect, and try to turn everything into a positive experience, that outlook is very magnetizing and makes people, and opportunity gravitate towards you.

    P.S. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After reading your blog.... yes I even read the Sexy move one....... I think you are a author. You need to write a book.... You know how to reach people with words. You can make then fell and think by the written word.......Food for thought my darling baby girl.
    P.S. I love you!

    ReplyDelete