Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Thirteen Reasons Why


I have a book recommendation. Not only do I recommend this for parents but for all kids entering middle/high school. It's called Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

Here is the book synopsis:

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier. On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list. Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

This book was really touching, eye opening and just simply real. I remember the days I didn’t want to face my peers because something was deemed embarrassing or perhaps there were whispers going behind my back. It’s a tough time in a young person’s life, which is why I like this book for two main reasons.

My first reason: it subtly teaches you to look for when someone is struggling with depression/suicide. No, this book does not cover them all and because all people are different, these warning signs might not apply to every victim. But for those that do, it can be a real opener as a parent or even a friend. For instance, a change of appearance, personality change and giving up possessions is something I will never forget from this book. Perhaps I will notice these traits from Desmond or his friends and I can do something before it’s too late.

My second reason is that it shows kids they are not alone. I think kids will be able to relate to both Hannah and Clay in these books. They may even recognize themselves in the other 12 main characters. I know that suicide has been high among gay teens and I love the campaign out there “It Gets Better.” But sometimes kids need something now. It’s great to focus that things will get better, but what if those kids have gone to a point that they don’t want to wait for later. I can just see someone relating to Hannah’s pain and feeling not alone anymore.

Now, I’m a liar. I’ve got a third reason. Perhaps you have no worries for your kid. Perhaps they are happy and popular, but what if you found out they were the reason someone was pushed to the edge. I think another good reason for kids to read this book is to see the significance of ones action. I won’t give anything away but one of the reasons was a rumor. Granted starting a rumor seems pretty harmless but what if that rumor had a snow ball effect like it did in this book. (Sorry won’t mention more, pick up the book!) Then perhaps having your child read this book might give them a chance to second think that rumor they want to spread.

And despite knowing the outcome for Hannah, I still found myself hoping it wouldn’t happen. Bravo to the author for making me care so much about this young girl that I still hoped for a different ending. And bravo again to the author for being able to end the story feeling hopeful. So pick it up, read it and share it with your teenagers. It could mean the difference between life and death.

1 comment:

  1. I am reading one right now it is call The Castaway. I think you would adore it

    ReplyDelete