Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Inner Geekdom

I feel like I should warn you before you start reading any of my blogs because I’m sure you’ll notice a reoccurring theme…I harbor an inner geek. I say inner because I don’t think my outward appearance shouts “I’m a geek” but at the same time I’m not ashamed of having geeky tendencies. I also can’t say I’m full-on geek. I’m not completely awkward, I’m not completely tech savvy and I do enjoy a lot of mainstream stuff. And I like to think that I’m pretty well rounded individual. I will give any show a shot, see any genre of movie and read any book that comes highly recommended from friends. But when left to my own devices I tend to gravitate towards science fiction, fantasy and the paranormal.

My love for Harry Potter and Twilight is quite bizarre. I have a Harry Potter quote tattooed on my left shoulder and its lead me to listen to Wizard Rock. Yes, that exists and I have gone to plenty of Harry and the Potter concerts, they rock! I own countless Harry Potter shirts, blankets and other random memorabilia. I squealed when I learned there is a HP themed section at Islands of Adventure in Florida which I’m still planning my trip to visit it soon. I go to each movies midnight release and I will forever be loyal to Dumbledore cause he’s the man.

As for Twilight, each movie my girlfriends at I go to the midnight release and I usually see the movie several times opening weekend. Yes, I realize these movies are horribly acted but I’m so head over heals for the love story that I can’t help but want to see it played out on the big screen. (And kudos to Summit for giving Catherine Hardwicke the boot. New Moon was much better and I think that can be credited to Chris Weitz.) When the DVD is released I have a movie release party at my home and most embarrassingly is…I read Twilight fan fiction. It started off innocent with wanting to read the “missing” honeymoon loving and turned into a full on addition for this lonely housewife. Don’t be too concerned…my addiction is much more manageable now.

Now you might have just decided that I have bad taste. I can’t argue with that with what I have revealed. (Regarding Twilight that is, I’ll fight to the death defending HP.) But I think I can redeem myself among my fellow nerds with the following sentence: Battlestar Galactica is fraking awesome. Seriously, Number Six gave me a female crush and made me want to live in a world where humans are near extinction running for survival and cylons live among us. BSG is hands down my favorite sci-fi series. Firefly would have been a close competitor but its one little season didn’t quite stack up enough against BSG full series.

I’m also a fan of Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Lost, Batman, and X-Men (heck any movie based on a comic book or graphic novel really.) Some of my favorite cult classics are: Rocky Horror Picture Show, Wily Wonka, Dazed & Confused, Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, Dawn of the Dead, Clerks, They Live, and Heathers. I’m married to a video game designer who loves geeky stuff, who works with truck loads of geeks and is constantly broadening my geekdom horizon. I look forward to the Renaissance Faire each year and I’m truly fond of Zombies and Vampires.

Does all these things make me a little geeky? Nerdy? I think so and I base it on the fact that I can’t talk to everyone about these select interests of mine. It’s easier to talk American Idol with my co-workers or heck almost any stranger off the street can have a full blown conversation on that show but ask about any of the above I get one of two answers. “I’ve never heard of it” or “That’s not my thing.” So I guess I’m somewhere in-between geeky and average, and that’s ok with me because I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and gosh darn it people still like me anyways!

Note: Picture is from my wedding in 2008. The tattoo says “I solemnly swear I’m up to no good” and “Mischief Managed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment