Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Am I a Tough Mudder?

I’ve gone and done it again. I’ve agreed to a challenge that is by far the hardest challenge I’ve ever agreed to. Come July 23rd I will be participating in the Tough Mudder Event in Wisconsin. My mom has excused me recently that I’m going through a “turning 30 crisis” this past year. I don’t feel like that is what’s motivating me but she is correct that I have pushing myself more during my 29th year.

So what is the Tough Mudder Event…its endurance, strength and team work. I almost signed up for a race called Muddy Buddy last year. The Muddy Buddy looks like child’s play compared to this event. And yet, the Muddy Buddy scared me. So you can only imagine I’m very close to pinching off a loaf right as I write this blog. It’s super scary.

The website says the following:

"Tough Mudder is not your average lame-ass mud run or spirit-crushing ‘endurance’ road race. Its Ironman meets Burning Man, and it is coming to a location near you. Our 10-12 mile obstacle courses are designed by British Special Forces to test all around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie. Forget finish times. Simply completing a Tough Mudder is a badge of honor. All Tough Mudder sponsorship proceeds go to the Wounded Warrior Project."

I am not in peak physical fitness and it’s absolutely required of me that I am. So my training began this morning. I have not been released for full exercise yet from the doctor but I have been permitted to use the exercise bike. It’s not a lot but it’s a start. I refuse to let my team mates down. I know that I’m the weakest link at this moment. And if we all start training at the same time, I may remain the weakest link at the event. So I feel the responsibility to be the strongest weakest link possible.

What I love most about this competition is the teamwork. Yes, I’m likely going to be a weaker link, but I have faith in my teammates to help me pull through the challenges that come. For instance, right now the hardest obstacle I foresee is #10, Berlin Walls. I have absolutely no upper body strength right now. I can guarantee that even with four months of training, this obstacle will be done with the help of my team mates.


There’s also going to be challenges that are completely challenging for me mentally. For instance, I’m quite afraid of small spaces so #9, Boa Constrictor, is going to challenge my ability to overcome my fear. This one challenge alone makes me want to lose weight and trim up. How will a pleasantly plump woman like myself fit in that tunnel if the following lean men look like they fill up the entire thing. Hello, I have hips! And breasts! I need to feel as compact as possible if I’m going to make it through this obstacle.

Another obstacle that has filled me with dread is #18, Electroshock Therapy. Yes, you are reading this correctly...electroshock therapy! They plan on sending us through a field of live wires. I can recall putting a battery on my tongue when I was little, but at most we’re probably talking about 9V. I’m in for some much bigger shockers!


So why am I doing this? Because I can, simple as that. I want to challenge myself. I want to know that I can do this. I have my husband on my team and feel the two of us can train together, diet together and gosh darn it, complete this together with our friends.

I’m taking a “nice” before photo tonight. I’m hoping that closer to the event I’ll be brave enough to show you how I looked when I signed up and how I’m looking for the competition. …so stayed tuned for that.

To see more about the Tough Mudder event click on the link below. (Seriously, just looking at the other challenges I’ll be facing is worth looking.)

http://toughmudder.com/

3 comments:

  1. DUDE!!!! YOU ARE CRAZY!!! Good luck though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am crazy. After much consideration I am not going to do the Tough Mudder this year. I will be striving though to complete the Muddy Buddy race with my husband. This race is just too expensive and I don't have enough time per day to train. I am not a Tough Mudder, zonks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing the New England one in 12 days! EEK! Bravo on your training - this competition is probably the best workout-motivator ever. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete