Thursday, March 3, 2011

Resolutions Check-In

How many of us create New Year’s resolutions and by the end of the first month they were already forgotten? Mine have not been forgotten; Writing them down tends to make me feel responsible for completing them, but they have been out of sight out of mind lately. So I’ve decided to print them out and post at work. I figure this location is in view for a minimum of eight hours everyday and will give me a purpose and goal when I reach home. So let me do a reality check now…what have I gotten done in two months???

#1 Weight – My first goal was to lose 30 lbs this year. And what have I lost? Only 3.6 lbs., but in reality I’m not that far off the mark. If I keep up 3.6 lbs every two months, that’ll be a total of 21.6 lbs for the year. I just need to make a more conscious effort. I’m actually a little pumped to see that I’m not completely throwing this one out the window like I originally thought.

#2 Food – My goal was to cook at least two meals per week. In reality I think it’s closer to three, a lot of time four! I think my biggest awakening moment here was my attempt at saving money. I’m starting to see how I was using “no time to cook” as an excuse for buying fast food. So not only am I saving money but my family and I are eating healthier food. Sometimes it’s not necessarily low calorie or low fat but just a good ole home cooked meal. I’ve also started eating my dinner on our small salad plates; Makes for a large looking dinner but saves me on the calories. It really does help.

#3 Blog – I really enjoy blogging. I don’t have a lot of followers but I do get a lot of comments from friends and family that they are reading…just gives me a little certain joy that I’m addicted to. So I made it a goal to blog once a week for a year. And I am 100% spot on in this resolution goal. The best part too is that I don’t feel an overwhelming pressure to perform. I just like writing and putting my thoughts out there. Thanks for reading, you are making my day!

#4 Dance Central –This resolution is EPIC FAIL! Now this is not 100% my fault. I wanted to play and beat the game Dance Central. It was a great way I decided to get exercise but have fun. Unfortunately, I have been injured half of the new year with a sprained knee. What I am guilty for is that other half I was uninjured and not once put the game on. I blame television and Desmond. Ok, I can’t really blame Desmond but it is really hard for me to get up and exercise after I put him to bed. By 9:00, I just don’t feel like starting my workout. But I need to get over that as soon as I’m cleared by the doctors I can exercise again. And damn it, I will! I’ve also recently ended my relationship with TV. (I can feel a blog brewing on that topic.) So I only have half the battle to fight now on this one. I will get better.

#5 Running – The goal to start running again is another fail, but I don’t feel too much regret on this one yet. I have committed to a friend to run a 5K with her in the fall. So I did set a deadline for when I need to be in 5K running shape. I also envisioned but did not vocalize that I would begin training as the weather got warmer. I plan on purchasing a used jogging stroller and taking Desmond on these runs. I can’t wait for my knee to heal and to smell spring…because I’m ready baby!

#6 Finances – My goal here is to eliminate some of our debt. Well, it’s on its way. In no way would a miracle happen in only two months. We are subscribing to paying higher than our minimums on two different cards (granted we have six) but we are seeing the balances get lower slowly. It feels really good and as long as we can keep it up, I know we will hit our goal and pay off two cards this year.

I also created the Pancake Challenge a few weeks after my resolutions. I haven’t gotten much done on that list of odd activities but I did accomplish showering in the dark. Before I turned off the lights, I turned on the shower to get the right temperature and took a mental picture of where everything was. I had my two pesky cats in the bathroom with me and soon learned that was a big mistake. My cats like to sit on the tub leg and in doing so would move the shower curtain and it would touch my leg. Not only that, sometimes they try licking my legs and I swear I could randomly feel their whiskers on my legs. Each time I had to hold in my yelp. The worst part of all…my old childhood spooks got to me. I swear I was just waiting for Bloody Mary to show up. I am a full grown adult and not even having my husband in the house could quench my fear and I have to say…I won’t be taking a shower in the dark anytime soon. But I’m glad I attempted it because now I know, I’m officially a scaredy cat.

How are you doing with your resolutions?

1 comment:

  1. I had one new years resolution, that was to actually put away the laundry instead of leaving it in the baskets to dig through.

    So far, as long as I am the one doing laundry this is getting done, but when the Warden does laundry, we are lucky if it even makes it out of the dryer.

    ReplyDelete