Thursday, March 10, 2011

American Idol's Idols

I promise not to turn this blog into a recap for all things American Idol. But truth be told, I get a lot of feedback when I post my reviews. And I'm a feedback junkie, so they will continue on for now. Plus I'd like to let anyone know who reads and participates in the Apple Vacations Idol Pool, I'm a previous winner and very close finalist on more than one occasion....so I like to think I know what I'm talking about.

So how did they do last night??? Here's my recap: (Dayna's reviews in italic)

Casey Abrams – The Caveman…wowsers! Loved his performance, loved his outfit but hate the thing growing on his face. I think he made an over done Joe Cocker song refreshing. Good job Caveman! – I COMPLETELY agree with you 100% He is somewhat of an eyesore but if I ignore his hairy face and head, he is an amazing performer, he adds style and his own flavor to every song he sings, I am definitely a fan of the Caveman!

Ashton Jones – Wild Afro in the Silver Dress…boring! Girl you weren’t even voted into the top 10. And I have no clue why you were picked to be a wildcard but do you really think it wise to sing a Diana Ross song that not many people are familiar with? You needed to rock the house last night and you didn’t…goodbye, you are likely going home tonight. – She is one of my picks to be voted off this week! Until you described her hair I had no idea who she was by name…and by now, if you make an impression on me, I will remember. She was boring, good bye Ashton.

James Durbin – The Rocker who sang Beatles – I rolled my eyes when I heard is song choice and I have to take it back. For the first time, I see why he moved on and I can say that I really liked his rendition last night. Only bad remarks, George Michael called and wants his earring back. – LOL! I was thinking the same thing, Where the F*** do you even buy a dangly cross earring?! But he is awesome, this guy can sing, that’s for sure! I am confident he will be sticking around for a while….

Lauren Alaina – I’m so over her! She is really good. I mean really good. But last night was so boring. And I’m a little sick of her nice act. And it’s probably not an act but it annoys me. Yes, your cute, your sweet and you can sing but it’s just that…good singing. She has too much of a “america’s sweetheart” and leans too much in country for me. I think she’ll be successful but not something I want to buy. – I missed the full performances of the first 5, so I think I missed her. I did watch the recap of all performances and from the 20 seconds or so, I HAVE NO IDEA WHO SHE IS?!?! SO that tells me……boring!

Scotty McCreery- The country boy…good ol’ country boy. Who knew that I be liking a country boy as much as I do? Thankfully he’s been able to sing and pick country songs. What will really be interesting is if he can make a non-country song sound good. He’s safe and likely go very far. - I agree, I was not a fan at all during Vegas week. I was actually hoping he wouldn’t make it. But I take that back. He can sing country and he can sing country well. He is charming on the stage and has a cute baby face. I hope he stays for a while, but I have a feeling he wont do so well when they do something like “rock n roll” week. But I am anxious to watch him.

Paul McDonald – The Bradly Cooper look-a-like that once wore a rose jacket – I still love him. But last night was not my favorite performance. First, he sounded as if he was whispering, it was awkward and not in his usual good way. Then like Ashton, I think his song choice was too unknown. I’m sure it’s a good band and I’m sure that it’s the kind of music he wants to make but can’t you find something that is known and make it your own? I hope he stays safe cause I know he has a lot more to show us. - I love him! I didn’t see his full performance, but from what I did see/hear, I do agree that it was a little awkward. I didn’t know the song, he didn’t sound amazing…but I’m not worried. His good looks and creepishly white smile will get him through to next week.

Haley Reinhart – I like her but I want to love her. She has a tone to her voice that I would pick up an album for but she just hasn’t brought it home yet. And girl, you better fast cause you’ll be out here soon if you don’t. – I love the ton of her voice and I think she is a pretty girl, but I wasn’t 100% pleased with her performance. I think she over did the yodeling and twang. But when she was singing in between I loved it!

Karen Rodriguez – I love Selena too but that outfit was never meant to leave the 90s. Can you even say you helped designed it? And your vocals were off. It wasn’t bad but it wasn’t good. Your safe for now. You can thank Selena fan enthusiasts for saving your rear this week. – OMG! Her outfit, her jewelry…then she thanks Selena and J-Lo for inspiring it!! LOL Jennifer was probably like “oh no she didn’t just thank me for that hideous thing..” But She is my number one choice to go home. I thought she did the song NO justice…and the way she looks when she sings….gross! Her facial expressions made me LOL!

Pia Toscano – I agree with the judges that she is one of the few that have pulled off singing one of the “great 3” female artists but I’m just not a fan of her. I think I need more personality from her. Her performances feel very pageantry for me. I hope she can connect with the audience cause she definitely has the looks and the voice. – She is a beautiful girl with a beautiful voice but I feel she was trained to sing like this. She never does anything out of the box….like you said, very pageantry. But I can see her continuing on, and I think the judges will eventually get bored and tell her to do something wild instead of playing it safe.

As for Jacob Lush, Thia Megia, Naima Adedapo and Stefano Leangone…you’ll be safe….unfortunately. - Agreed! I actually liked Naima’s performance, she did something totally unique and I like that. Thia….BORING! Stefano, he is good but plays it safe too. Jacob…..good bye, you wont be missed by me if you get sent home. I am NOT a fan of gospel inspired R. Kelly songs.

My pick to go home is Ashton. Dayna's pick is Karen. Who is right or are we both wrong? What are you thoughts on last nights idol...

2 comments:

  1. I liked Naima Adedapo from the very beginning but then she started becoming too old and cultural for me and I forgot why I liked her. Then last night's performance I was like wow, she IS young and current and hip. I definitely want her to stick around to see what she'll do next. I vote Ashton,Stephano,or Jacob to go. Those three I continually fast forward through. Ugh, boooorring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Steph's comment. I literally groan when Jacob Lush comes on screen and was SOOOOO disappointed they gave Ashthon a second chance. Still a HUGE fan of Loren Alaina!! LOVE her!

    ReplyDelete